Friday, August 28, 2009

BLK JKS : Addicition

Ok, so I took a little break, I know. I AM LAZY.

But I am here today to tell you about a band that I am absolutely hooked on - BLK JKS. Funny thing about this band is that I saw them months ago at SXSW. Unfortunately, it was after seeing about 8 other bands prior and I just was spent.

About 2 months later, I got reintroduced to them. I was going on the road with BRCM for a weekend of out of town dates and I made a mix. I put the song Lakeside as the first song on that mix. Everytime I hear this song its like the most complicated dance party I have ever been a part of. Its swaying tempo and tribal breakdown in the middle moves me. Ask my girlfriend, who catches me singing this song to myself and dancing quite often, to which she laughs, obviously.

Since I have picked up on their other stuff, and seriously dig the shit out of it. They are a South African rock band, so they do a great job of mixing their vernacular sound into a rock sound that is fresh and sharp. Their new LP After Robots comes out Sept 8th.

I know I downloaded Lakeside somewhere on the internet for free (it may have been on NPR's SXSW free sampler) but not sure where to find it now. Check it out here, entitled LS.

Here is a link to download another one of their songs. Molalatladi

Website

No comments: